2 cups rice
1 cup toor dal
2 finely sliced onion
6 to 8 small size tomatoes
4 slitted into halves green chillies
12 to 15 mint leaves
1/2 bundle coriander leaves
1 tsp garlic paste
1 1/2 tsp ginger paste
salt to taste
1/4 cup veg. oil
a few curry leaves
3 cups water
a pinch of turmeric powder
How to make rice khichdi:
- Wash and cook dal with a pinch of turmeric powder. Set aside.
- Don’t discard the cooked dal water.
- Fry the onions, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom.
- When onions are golden add slit green chillies, mint, curry leaves and a part of the coriander leaves.
- Keep the remaining coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Add salt, ginger and garlic paste. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the washed, drained rice and chopped tomatoes. Fry for few minutes.
- Add the cooked dal, mix well and add 3 cups of water.
- Add cooked dal water. Cook it for 8 to 10 minutes till the rice is done.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.